YOUR FIRST HAIR WASH AFTER YOUR HAIR TRANSPLANT
In this blog, we’ll detail the features of your first hair wash and how to complete this crucial next care step, including techniques and products. To get the most out of your new hair, it is imperative that you strictly follow the instructions outlined below! Washing new hair and scalp is a vital part of the aftercare process and has many functions and benefits. The first hair wash is the most important and will ensure your hair grafts settle smoothly and without complaints.
YOUR FIRST HAIR WASH
• You should not wash your hair before 48 hours after your hair transplant procedure. However, you can take a shower, just make sure you do not wet your hair / head.
• To start your first hair wash, you will want to apply lotion or moisturizer to the area where the grafts were transplanted. This lotion or moisturizer will be given to you by your surgeon or doctor as part of your postoperative care package, or you will be told what moisturizer / lotion to purchase / prescription.
• Apply the lotion gently and make sure you apply enough to cover the specific area in a light layer. Massage the product using the fingertips of both hands in gentle circular motions.
• You should let the product soak for 20-25 minutes (holding time may vary slightly depending on the product you use / give, specific instructions will be given by your doctor or on the label if the product itself is). After this time, make sure to wash the lotion from the hair and transplantation area with warm water, and if you are using a shower, keep the pressure slow and steady. A strong shower or “pressure shower” and hot water can damage your new hair, which will also be painful because the transplant site may still be sore 48 hours after your procedure and will remain tender up to a week after you.
• After all the lotion has been removed from the hair, it is time to apply your shampoo. Again, this will either be provided to you or your surgeon / doctor will advise you which shampoo to buy / give you a prescription.
• Take a small amount of your shampoo and lather before applying. You should then gently massage the area and be careful not to be too strong as it can move or even remove new hair grafts. As with the lotion, you should make sure to wash the shampoo out of your hair with warm water and low pressure if using a shower. If you are bathing, we recommend that you fill a cup or jug with water to rinse your hair – do not immerse your head completely in water.
• Alternatively, a technique we recommend our patients to use is to put a small amount of your shampoo into a clean glass or bowl, add enough water to make the shampoo foam, and then continue to rinse the hair and head with the shampoo. solution. To achieve maximum results, you should complete this process 2-4 times to ensure maximum coverage and clean head and hair. As with the previous method, you should rinse your hair with clean, warm water after this is complete so that no shampoo is left on the head or hair.
• After you have thoroughly rinsed your hair and head, you should not use a towel to dry yourself. Towels are abrasive and can severely damage, dislodge or even dislodge your new grafts. Also, we do not recommend using a hair dryer, but we recommend that you can use a hair dryer on the coldest setting and keep it as far away from your head as possible.
• The best and safest method of drying your hair after the first wash is to use a paper towel. Toilet rolls or soft paper towels are not recommended as they may scatter and / or leave residue when wet. The best paper towels to use are thicker and more absorbent. Remember to be incredibly gentle to make sure your hair is completely dry.
As mentioned earlier, the first hair wash after a hair transplant is very important and if you follow the steps outlined above then we are confident that your new hair will reach its potential and will be healthy and grow as desired. If you want to talk to us regarding a hair transplant procedure, or if you have had a hair transplant with us soon, and are looking to discuss the hair washing or complementary treatment program in general, then please do not hesitate to contact us.