HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR HAIR?
It is important to consider the hair system as a whole in order to have beautiful hair full of life. For this reason, it is very important to protect your scalp and treat the hair at the root level in order to have shiny and vibrant hair,. But how do you recognize a healthy scalp? What are the correct actions to take to keep shape?
Different scalp types
Like the rest of the skin, the scalp varies from person to person. Therefore, there are several parameters that should be considered in analyzing a scalp:
- Amount of hair covering: This makes it possible to determine whether the scalp is mostly covered, ie has a lot of hair, or is exposed when the hair is missing or split and exposes the scalp.
- Sebum production: As with skin in general, production varies from person to person. People who produce the most sebum have oily scalp. The scalp of those who produce less is dry.
- Sensitivity to external aggression: During the day, the scalp is exposed to many external influences such as moisture, sweat, high temperature, pollution, UV rays… Some skin types are more sensitive than others. It can cause some scalp ailments.
How to distinguish a healthy scalp?
There are three obvious signs to recognize a healthy scalp:
- A balanced pH: The scalp naturally has an acidic pH value (5.5). In this way, it guarantees a protective barrier role in the fight against external attacks. When the pH becomes unstable, the scalp is less protected. This happens with the appearance of irritation and dandruff or, conversely, oily hair.
- Beautiful hair: Since the health of the scalp has direct consequences on the hair, if your hair is beautiful and completely healthy, so is your scalp. When the base of the hair takes its source from a weakened environment, it results in flat, brittle, dull or dense hair.
- A breathing scalp: A healthy scalp should never be suffocated. However, day by day, all kinds of things accumulate on the scalp (dust, pollution, hair growth, sebum, sweat…) These external factors should not prevent it from breathing. That’s why it’s important to wash your hair every 2-3 days.
How to protect a healthy scalp?
Here are some of the basic things you should do to keep your scalp healthy.:
- Use a shampoo suitable for the structure of your scalp and close to the skin’s neutral pH. Thus, this product prevents imbalances and cleans without harm.
- Find the right washing frequency. Some people only need to wash their hair once a week. Others wash it every day. It all depends on your scalp’s sebum production as well as the activities you practice. Regardless of how often you wash, make sure you always use warm water and do not make too aggressive movements.
- Choose zinc pyrithione based products. This active ingredient helps fight bacteria and dandruff.
- Limit the use of dry shampoo. They are very dry and tend to degrade the scalp.
- Avoid products that contain silicone. It tends to strangulate the scalp.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Choose foods based on vitamins, antioxidants, iron, zinc and amino acids whenever possible
- Avoid extremely aggressive environments. Cold, pollution, chlorine, sea salt or UV rays from swimming pools are very irritating to the scalp.
Before you even treat the length of your hair, know that its beauty goes mainly through your scalp. This is what is used to nourish the capillary bulb and provides the skull’s protective barrier function.